“When are you making my favorite soup Mom?”Greyson Bartman
- 12 to 16 ounces sausage – rosemary garlic or mild Italian or sausage of your choice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 796 mL
- 2 cans water
- 2 cups chicken broth, saved from whole chicken
- 2 tbsp Italian spice, or 2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 package cheese tortellini
- 1 cup spinach, chopped or microgreens
Preheat oven to 350F. Using kitchen shears, cut raw sausage into bite size pieces into a large enamel Dutch oven. Add diced onions and peppers. Bake for 25-35 minutes, stirring halfway through, until sausage is cooked through, and onions and peppers are softened.
Move Dutch oven to stovetop. Add tomatoes, water, chicken broth, and seasoning. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then turn down to simmer. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Add tortellini and spinach/microgreens to soup. Turn up heat to medium high and cook until tortellini is soft.
Serve with crusty bread and fresh veggies. Enjoy!